Monday, April 10, 2006

My future...

Before I really get into the main topic of this post, I want to apologise for not putting the time spent here to blog about the second part of the outing. I really want to blog this down again before I forget. I would have to say it might be boring. So please endure with me. I promise to get the post done as soon as possible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


At this age of 17 going onto 18 now, I bet most people wouldn't think as far as me. Some have might, and some would just live each day as they pass by. I always say, "Stay happy and things will change for the better." I couldn't have said it better myself but being a normal human being like everybody else, I do not practise what I preach. Come to think of it, who does?

Jokes aside. Whatever inspired me to pen this today has really made me wonder how my future is going to be like. I have dreams. Everyone else does. Even a dying man has dreams. Sadly his dreams are going to be left as just that and nothing more. I am still healthy and have the chance to fufil all my dreams. What more can I ask for?

For the past two weeks working at my Dad's factory, I have come to realise that in another twenty years I would be an adult in the working society. Can I afford to continue being like what I am today? I see my parents getting up early everyday and the first thing they do is read the papers. Keeping it between all of us, I wake up every morning and still do not read the papers. I am still as ignorant as I was before. To many, I am perceived as someone who knows quite an amount of things. Be it general knowledge or women's things, I still find that I do not know a lot of things. For example, I am still not clear of my school fees. I know nothing of how the payment works. All I know is that my Mom is using her Central Provident Fund (CPF) to pay for it and I have to return the money to her when I work in the future.

Enough about thinking deep and being poetic which I may be failing terribly at. I am typing this down so that I would not forget what I have dreamed of in the future when I am at this age. I have it all planned actually. Every night before I sleep, I spend twenty minutes dreaming about my future. I really hope I can change all my dreams into reality.

Before taking the GCE O Level, I had planned what to study and what the course of my life is going to take. Amilia might have heard of this. I dreamed of taking a business course in Poly. Try to get into HR because I love interation with people. Get my Diploma and get a job concerning with HR. After saving enough money, quit my job and start a business myself I always dreamed of being my own boss. Many people upon hearing this, they ask me what kind of business I want to have. If I can tell what business I want to have in the future that would profit the most, I do not need to be here.

That is the main course of life I want to take. Work aside, I also dream of family. You all know how much I love kids. Just seeing my aunt having a child makes me so happy for her. I can imagine how much joy my kids will bring me in the future. From being in the womb to coming out into the world. Moving on the first step he take and the first time he calls me. Onto the first day he enrolls into school and then graduating from a University. Finally he goes into the work force and start a family of his own. All this can make me feel so happy just by seeing my kid grow from a fertilized ova which is smaller than the period at the end of this sentence to a grown adult who can manage his own family. I dream of having four children. Preferably two boys and girls. Why four? This is to prevent the situation I am in. I name it the second child syndrome, otherwise known as the middle child syndrome.

In my home now, I am constantly called to do numerous things. I have siblings too. However I am the one my parents always pick to do thing even though both my siblings can be rotting in some corner. Personal things aside. I have already named my kids. You all know that too. For the girls, older sister will be called Rui Ling, and the younger, Rui En. Boys would be, Rui Xiang, for the older brother and, Rui Ming, for the younger.

We would all then live in a house. Be it an HDB or private housing, there will definitely be a pool table. We would be all happy and cosy together. My wife would be someone with beautiful long hair with the best personality that anyone could have. I would let her have the choice of a being a career woman or home maker. I would come home everyday from work and the first thing I would like to hear are my children's greetings. Followed by a kiss on the cheek from my lovely wife and dinner is prepared. All the nice home cooked food.

Let this carry on for a couple of decades more and I will soon be retiring and waiting to carry my grandchildren. Hoping to pass on my wisdom which I have collected over the years to the next generation.

Most people would think that I am crazy for thinking this far. I would say I am just ahead of time than the rest of my mates. I remember hearing this story from someone.

Two brothers live on the 80th floor of the highrise building. One day the lift broke down and they decided to climb the stairs. So with the heavy bags they had, they climb the first twenty floors. By the 20th floor, they were tired. They decided to leave their bags and carry on climbing. from the 20th floor to the 40th floor, they climbed the stairs happily. Talking and joking all the way. They were enjoying this climb. Again, they felt tired when they reached the 40th floor. From 40th floor onwards, they climbed. This time they both were shouting and quarelling with each other. Slowly, they reach the 60th floor. They were really tired and decided to finish the climb without arguing. The rest of the climb to the 80th floor was a slow and quiet one. Ultimately, when the two brothers reached their home, they realised that they left the house keys in the bag that is resting at the 20th floor.

Sorry about that chunk of words. What I am trying to say is that climbing the stairs can be very much the same as our life. The first twenty floors will be difficult becuase of the responsibilities as children and teenagers. As we reach the 20th floor, which I also mean twenty years of age, we would leave those burdens behind and live in our prime. We would be daring and enjoying the freedom like the brothers have enjoyed the climbed from the 20th to 40th floor.

Soon age is setting in. We are not as healthy as before. We do not have the energy to be daring but rather we are a little pissed off because good things come to an end. It came too fast. This time, we are regreting for the things we didn't do and we start to complain more about things we do not like. Slowly, when we reach sixty years old, we tend to resign to fate and just live our lives quietly. Just like the brothers that agreed to stop arguing and climb the stairs quietly. We live like this for the next twenty years of our lives. About finding out that the keys are left at the 20th floor, this means that when we are nearly at the end of our whole life journey, we will remember and savour the memories that we had during the first twenty years of our lives even though it is the most difficult.

Are your eyes getting tired? My hands are too. I am glad that I got this down before I lost all inspiration. What are all your plans in the future? I suppose this is just a small part of me that carries on this dreams. It gives me something to look forward to. As for now, live life to the fullest and stay happy so that things will change for the better!

Pardon me for this naggy post. For those who really spent some time reading all these. I thank you. This is the life I want to live. So do work hard for your dreams and I wish you the best!

No comments: